Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Running For Grampie!! Cape Cod Marathon report 10/26/08




In loving memory of Harold Sargent 9/23/23 – 10/21/08


(click photo to see the memorial bib)

After Grampie passed away last week I initially was thinking I’ll just do a different race. When I found out that there were no conflicts with the race and the funeral I decided I would still race and I would do it in honor of Grampie Sargent. I was able to see Grampie a few days before he passed away and had a moment with him that I will remember forever. His funeral was such an honor to him and the life he lived. He touched so many people’s lives through community service that it blows my mind. I was simply in awe during the funeral to see and hear from all those who’s lives were touched by him.

I was going to run 26 miles to honor Grampie. After the funeral I met up with my training partner Justin Ryea somewhere north of Boston where Lindsay dropped me off. Race morning was typical. I felt pretty good. My plan was to go out and run 6:30 – 6:40 as long as I could shooting to go under 2:55 as my recent performances suggest that is realistic.

Once the race started I knew something was wrong even by the end of the first mile. I had to use the bathroom!!!! I think I didn’t clear out enough before the race. There was no place to go so I kept running until there was a porto-let. I was holding right with the plan still as far as pace and it felt comfortable. After the first portolet visit it just got worse. My stomach was a mess and I needed to do my business another 8 or 9 times. Sometimes in the woods and sometimes in a portolet. I think I lost a good 1-2 minutes each time. I felt awful, stomach was a disaster and I didn’t seem to be digesting my shot blocks. If I wasn’t running for Grampie I think I would have considered dropping out. I went into survival mode and just H’dTFU. I made it to the line in 3:13 and a pretty good deal of disappointment but happy that I finished for Grampie.

This race capped what I feel was a great season. I set new PRs for half ironman (4:11), run split in a half iron (1:25), and open half marathon (1:20:00). This marathon was the first race in over a year that the GI problems were an issue, I just need to hone in on the cause.

2 comments:

Heidi Wheatley said...

Dubbs, You made him so proud. Your post brought tears to my eyes.
Love you!
Heidi

Heidi Wheatley said...

Dubbs,
Your entry brought tears to my eyes. Grampie would be so proud.
Love you,
Heidi

Kaizuuur

Kaizuuur